Webmasters Note: The information provided below was originally published on the website www.pigggenealogy.com that can now be found on the Internet Archive Wayback Machine. This information was used with permission of Mr. James Pigg.
Originally named Flint Hill, Ruby was first settled in 1875. As with Patrick, Pageland, Mt. Croghan and McBee, Ruby didn’t develop until the railroad was constructed. The Cheraw & Lancaster Railroad arrived in 1902; Ruby incorporated the same year. The largest employer is the Gerrard Tire Company.
Ruby, a town of 300, also has its own annual celebration, the Jewel City Jubilee. And as Mt. Croghan, there are no city property taxes, obtaining its funds from Carolina Power and Light rebates, state money, fines and alcohol taxes.
The mayor is most proud of the town water pump, which is enclosed in a gazebo on Market Street across from the town hall.